Saturday, January 5, 2013

Goal Setting

Do you as an athlete or coach know what you're aiming for? What's your TARGET? What's your GOAL?

One of the best ways to get to where you want to go in your sport, or in life for that matter, is to set GOALS. You must have a plan, a road map on how you will achieve the things you want.

First and most important, what is it that you want to achieve? Is it to make your school's Varsity High School Baseball Team. To be a star pitcher on your summer travel team? To be a stud hitter or an all-star caliber infielder? Maybe your GOAL is to get a scholarship to play at a Division I college? What ever your GOAL, you must first identify it and then write it down. This becomes your Out-Come GOAL. The thing(s) you want most to achieve.

After you determine your Out-Come GOAL, the most important step is to make a written list of Performance GOALS, drills or routines that if done routinely, will help you reach your Out-Come GOALS. For instance, your GOAL SHEET might look something like this:

My Athletic Out-Come Goal is to be an impact Pitcher for ABC University my freshman year in college.

My Performance GOALS to help me achieve my GOAL of Pitching for ABC are as follows:

1. I will condition myself by jogging at least 2 mile a day 5 days a week
2. I will use the interval running principle to increase my stamina and build leg strength and lung capacity when making my 2 mile runs.
3. I will jump rope 5 minutes a day 6 days a week.
4. I will execute form running exercises 20 minutes a day 5 days a week and include carioca, high knees, backwards, high skip, spider crawls, high kicks, side to side shuffles, butt kickers.
5. I will run 10 - 60 yard sprints 3 days a week.
6. I will throw long distance - working back to 180 feet for 12 - 15 LD throws every other day while weather permits.
7. I will go through 12 minutes of specific towel drills every other day during the off-season or when weather prohibits me from working outside plus visualize throwing a 50 pitch bull pen using a hand towel.
8. I will work my arms and upper body with resistance band exercises 3 times a week. 3 sets of 10 reps each: See Dr. Jobe Program.
9. I will perform 3 sets of 25 push-ups 5 days a week.
10. I will practice fielding my position at least once a week when weather permits or when I have access to a gym or other facility. I will field 25 bunts and throw to 1b, I will field 25 bunts and throw to 2B: I will field 25 come-backers and throw to 2B; I will practice covering 1B on balls hit to 1B side 25 times. I will practice covering 1B on 3-6-1 DP's (25X). I will practice covering home plate on WP/PB 10X.

These are a few examples of drills and exercise you can do to, and need to do, in order to achieve the lofty Out-Come GOAL in this example. You, however, must set your own performance goals, goals that are achievable, ones that you can and are willing to do. They must be specific with a time frame. Simply stating I will work on my arm strength is not a performance Goal. Making 15 long distance throws every other day is a specific performance Goal. No one else can set goals for you. It just won't work. If you're interested in playing at the next level and eventually at the collegiate level, only dedication, desire and determination to prepare will get you there.

Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail,

Coach Bob Harris

No comments: